The outbreak of this pandemic has changed our lives in way we could never have imagined. Humanity has been pocketed by this and scientists are working round the clock to save us. Europe is at the center of this with over twenty thousand deaths and hundred of thousands of people have also been affected.
Africa has got his own share of it. According to Africanarguments, Africa has over 9,867 cases reported, 482 deaths and 947 recovery. South Africa is topping the list with over 1,600 confirmed cases, followed by Algeria and Egypt with 1, 423 and 1, 322 cases respectively.
Several weeks after, it finally got to Nigeria on 27th of February, 2020 by an Italian citizen who flew in some days earlier. Since, then the number has gradually increasing and now stands at 238 confirmed cases.
These are the few things to know:
- NCDC (Nigeria Centre for Disease Control) – This is the body in charge of monitoring and managing disease outbreak in the country. It was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2018. It is currently headed by Chikwe Ihekweazu.
- The first patient that was discovered (Index Case) was an Italian who entered the country few days before he was diagnosed
- The state with the highest number of cases is Lagos State and the health Task for is headed by Babatunde Jide Sanwolu who doubles as the Governor of the state.
- The first administrator to be declared positive is the Chief of Staff to the president, Mr Abba Kyari.
- The first governor to contact this disease is Governor Bala Muhammed after came in contact with a carrier.
- The Central Bank under the supervision of the presidency hallmarked N1.1trillion to fight the COVID-19.
- As at April 7, 2020, the donation to the federal relief account account to fight the Corona Virus is at 15bn.
- On 29, March, the president declared on a national broadcast the Lagos, Ogun and Abuja should be placed on Lockdown.
- As at the time of filing this report, the number of cases in each states is as follows;
The first patient that was discovered (Index Case) was an Italian who entered the country few days before he was diagnosed.
Akwa Ibom- 5
By number, 238 confirmed cases, 5deaths and 35 persons discharged.
The federal government announced it decision to invite foreign doctors to support in fight again COVID-19. These doctors are reportedly coming from China. This, as gathered, does not really go down well with the some members of the public and health practitioners.
The government is doing everything it can in to curb the spread of the virus in the country.